Northeast New Jersey Legal Services (NNJLS) serves the counties of Bergen, Hudson and Passaic, the most culturally and economically diverse area of the State. With offices in Hackensack, Paterson and Jersey City, NNJLS is centrally located and offers comprehensive legal representation to low-income, senior and disabled residents who have civil legal problems and cannot afford a private attorney.
NNJLS’ mission is to ensure that access to the civil justice system is not denied to any resident simply because he or she cannot afford a private attorney. NNJLS has fifty years of experience in providing legal assistance to people in need, and our attorneys and support staff are dedicated to providing residents with the highest-quality legal services. NNJLS staff attorneys are experienced in Housing, Family, Public Benefits, and Consumer Law. NNJLS also has special programs for survivors of domestic violence, senior citizens, veterans, persons living with HIV/AIDS, the homeless, immigrants, and low-income persons with federal tax issues. Our services include legal representation in court and before administrative agencies and other legal advocacy. We also provide community legal education regarding issues of concern to the low-income residents of our service area.
Can NNJLS Help Me?
NNJLS can help you if:
- You have a civil (non-criminal) legal problem within our Program Priorities. See Our Work.
- Your live in Bergen, Hudson, or Passaic County.
- Your income and assets fall within NNJLS’ eligibility guidelines.
We do not provide assistance in the following types of cases:
- Criminal matters, auto accidents, personal injury, traffic tickets, business matters and workers compensation cases.
To Find Out More:
- Visit Our Work to see the types of legal matters we handle.
- To find an office near you and how to apply see Contact Us.
- If you want to donate your time see Volunteers.
- Visit Community Legal Education to find out more about legal education seminars for your community group.